Skip to main content

The Painting Gears Are Creaking Back into Motion. . .

Fleshtone wash is all done.  A black wash over gray will follow for the shoes and tricornes, and then the real fun can start.

Not much to look at just yet, but I managed to snatch a relaxing 30 minutes or so to apply a wash of fast-drying Winsor & Newton alkyd oil fleshtone last night between about 9-9:30pm.  This evening, after a day of errands and some work-related administrative 'paperwork' (actually paperless and on my laptop, but just as interesting, which is to say it absolutely is not interesting. . .  anything but in fact.), I'll return to undercoat eventual black areas in gray and then apply a black wash.  

Once that is done, a gray undercoat to the shirt areas and then a wash or two of white on top.  Then, it will simply be a random mix of browns, tans, and maybe a bit of dark blue or dark green for the remaining clothing since these figures are armed civilians.  I'll conclude with the musket stocks, barrels, firelocks, and brass buckles on the shoes.  And then it will be time to get back to those pesky flags.

************


On yet another unrelated and seasonal note, let me say that I enjoy Christmas music every December.  Both traditional English and German carols as well many of the poppier tunes from the last 65-70 years.  Everything from Frank Sinatra, to Bing Crosby and the much missed David Bowie, Vince Guaraldi, Judy Garland, McCartney, Mel Torme, Nat Cole, et al.  But good God is there a lot of terrible, saccharine schlock clogging the airwaves at this time of year too.  

To wit, I submit for your review The Christmas Shoes, a fairly recent addition to the annual collective Christmas aural ouvre, a song that I do my level best to avoid hearing  -- at all -- each year.  Sadly, I was unavoidably Christmas Shoes'ed a short while ago, and I may very well need a stiff drink and a couple of aspirin to steady myself.  Others may lap it up, but to me, and while I get the intended message behind the song, it is the most contrived, soppy piece of I don't know what.  Ugh!  Apparently, a TV dramatization with Rob Lowe was produced a few years later back during the early 2000s after the song's initial appearance on the holiday airwaves. 

************


I will conclude, on a more cheerful and less contrarian note, with a traditional image of Father Christmas.  Each year, I cull from the internet a bunch of Victorian, Edwardian, and Welhelmine images, which resonate with me more than the traditional Coca-Cola version of Santa Claus, which seems to have taken over virtually everywhere in the 21st century.  For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is my own gradual slippage ever farther into crotchety decrepitude and even irrelevance, I prefer the quieter, more somber images from a bygone age long before even I was born.  In my defense, my own mother has always maintained that I am, in some ways, an old soul, so there you are.

Ok.  No more Monday morning procrastination.  It's time to brave the dreaded. . .   POST OFFICE!

-- Stokes




Comments

Der Alte Fritz said…
Some of the Christmas songs that make me lose my will to live, in order of worst:

1) Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart -- George Michael
2) All I Want for Christmas Is You -- Mariah Cary
3) Dominick the Donkey
4) Santa Baby
5) Jingle Bell Rock
6) Have a Holly Jolly Christmas -- Burl Ives (my dislike is due to it being overplayed)
7) I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus -- Michael Jackson version
Ha! Jim, I remember that you mentioned elsewhere a year or three ago that Last Christmas brought on apoplectic seizures for you, which is why I refrained from mentioning it by name in this post. We must stick together in time of need after all. Mariah Carey (horribly overplayed), River by Joni Mitchell (Sorry!), and Dominic the Donkey certainly also get my vote as does anything, Christmasy or otherwise, by Justin Bieber. How a country (Canada)that gave us great bands like The Guess Who and Rush among others could do that to us, I'll never know. Even more obnoxious than The Chipmunk Christmas Song.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a